Welcome. If you're new to this site, start here

Saturday, September 09, 2006

About Me

There’s a great series of comments over on Tom’s WellUrban blog. I don’t know quite where to being in answering them all, but for starters, I’ll reply to some questions about me:

Simon asked: John, I am curious as to the motivations behind you pro-bus stance. I ask, not as a slant against any bias you may hold - everyone no matter how objective they attempt to be has their biases. However in all the continued debate around the Northern transport study your name keep surfacing [and a good thing too, we are well short of people who care enough to speak out!] .

Do you have any connection to the bus and coach industry? I know you attempt to introduce facts in your arguments however you seem very reluctant to look at or address both points of view -or indeed a wider context.


First, let me offer a partial apology for offering a one-sided point of view. I have a lot of other pressures on my time at the moment (for personal reasons which I won’t go into here). So, I have to be selective; I simply don’t have time to cover everything. As I’ve said before, I started blogging because only one side of the story was being told (rail). So naturally, my limited time is focused on the side that nobody else was telling (bus).

I have no connections to the bus and coach industry. In fact, if you look at my Blogger profile, or type my name into Google, you’ll see I’m a computer geek at a software company. Neither me nor my employer have anything to do with the transport industry.

I don’t like your suggestion that I have a pro-bus bias. Accuse me of having a pro-public-transport bias, and you’d be right. I want public transport solutions that work well. In the case of the Northern Suburbs, we can have two parallel systems – a rail system that works well and a bus one that works badly – or we can combine them and get one solution that works well for everybody. On that basis, I support the combined solution, which is the busway.

In contexts where I believe rail is the best public transport option, such as the Western Corridor, I support it. (Here are some extracts from my written submission on the Western Corridor Plan.)

Finally, let me point out that on some occasions I’ve been a vocal critic of Newlands bus service. For instance, in 2000 their changes to route 54 added greatly to journey times for many residents. I debated this point with Newlands representatives at a Community Association meeting; conducted a mail drop to affected residents; and contacted the Regional Council about the matter. I’m pleased to see that they now plan to reverse the change. (See the route 54 comments in the latest Scenarios documents).

As I’ve said before, I’m just a guy who’s sick of sitting in traffic. If I have any other bias, it’s the firm belief that long journey times are bad for our society. Slow transport costs me hours each week with my daughter, and I know it does the same to hundreds of other working parents in the Northern Suburbs.

In the many hours I’ve spent sitting on buses, as they crawled down Nauranga Gorge, I’ve often wished for something like the busway – something which would give fast, reliable public transport to everyone in the Northern Suburbs. When people choose public transport, which is best for society and the environment, we should reward them with a quick, reliable service. We should not let public transport be sabotaged by those who choose not to use it, driving their cars and holding up buses on the Gorge. Instead, we should take the buses out of the Gorge.

(The resulting bus service will be quick and reliable. It might even be attractive to some of those car drivers!)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: route 54 changes, I guess you're talking about this: "New Route 54 which removes the section of the existing Route 54 loop that uses Middleton Road."? I can't see how it's possible to make a route through Churton Park not use Middleton Road; there are only two entrances/exits (one Middleton Road into Halswater, and one through Basset Road towards Chorley Grove). Is this made clearer in the actual document than the web page?

Sun Sept 10, 11:31:00 am  
Blogger John Rusk said...

The new proposed route uses Basset/Chorley both to enter and leave the suburb.

In that respect, it is the same as the old (pre Nov/Dec 2000) route.

It is included in the maps in the North Wellington "Scenarios" PDFs.

Sun Sept 10, 08:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a substantially worse service for people in the part of Churton Park on the other side of Middleton Road, amongst others (but the others do have more options for the most part). The 59 just can't support anything like the necessary frequency, and certainly not into the city. Bloody good for people in Chorley Grove, though.

I find it interesting that you're supporting this, as it makes me think that your motivations are entirely selfish throughout, and not aiming for better public transport at all.

Thu Sept 14, 06:31:00 pm  
Blogger John Rusk said...

Yes, the current 59 is not enough. When I asked the Council about their plans approximately 2 years ago, they said that the likely plan was to increase the frequency of the 59 service to a level that would make their proposed change viable. The latest scenarios report says (in the technical appendix):

Middleton Road catchment catered for by the increased frequency on Route 59 with possible off-peak transfer from Route 59 to Route 54 at Johnsonville

I'm not quite sure what they mean by "possible off-peak transfer". At the moment the 59 only runs between J'Ville and Porirua. It does not extend to Wellington (therefore a transfer would be essential). The Council's wording suggests than some peak 59's would run to and from Wellington. That would be a real "plus" for Middleton Rd residents, because at the moment they have to spend at least quarter of an hour riding around Churton Park each morning. (Since they are at the start of the loop.) A few peak period 59's would cut out that unnecessary ride around Churton Park.

What it boils down to is that the current route, with a very long loop around the whole suburb, has downsides for virtually everyone. Some people have a lengthy ride around the suburb in the morning, others in the evening. The Council's proposal shortens that time for most residents, and eliminates it for Middleton Road residents.

Thu Sept 14, 08:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note that 3 x AM 59 Services do run to Wellington, Leaving J'ville for Wellington at 7:30, 7:55 and 8:05 as outlined by the Metlink Timetable. There are also 2 x PM 59 Services.

These service extentions to the 59 service were put in place when the Grenada Village 55 Service was re-routed from travelling via J'ville to via Newlands. The 59 services were extended mainly to replace the bus capacity to Johnsonville previously provided by the 55 services. Even so, the PM bus services to J'ville in particular are inadequate with peak 54 buses often being full by the time they reach Wellington Station (because the 4 55 services to J'ville were replaced with only 2 x 59 services).

Thu Sept 14, 09:41:00 pm  
Blogger John Rusk said...

Oops, my mistake, sorry. You're absolutely right. Presumably the Council will look at increasing those services further, if they take the 54 off Middleton Road.

By the way, in response to Anonymous above - taking the 54's off Middleton Road was not my idea, it was the Council's (or perhaps the bus company's). In any case, I expect it has been made after careful consideration, including examining the information about where passengers live and which bus stops they use. (Regular bus users pay by "SmartCard" on Newlands bus service. That allows the bus company to gather very accurate information on where we board, and since they require our addresses when they issue the cards they also know where we live. It's slightly big-brother-ish, but hopefully it helps them to to make well-informed decisions about routes.)

For the record, my own suggestion, to "fix" the 54 route was to run the buses down Middleton Rd as far as Churton Drive, then follow Churton Drive all the way to Halswater Dr, then onto Burbank Crs. That maintains service to most Middleton Rd residents, while also reaching the heart of the suburb early in the route. The bus company said they had considered, but rejected, that option already. They didn't say why.

Sat Sept 16, 02:29:00 pm  

<< Home